Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Rain Wind Snow Bowl

Just like with the Grey Cup back last year, we headed down Highway 6 between Caledonia and Hagersville to the Highway Pentecostal Church's Backyard Football Pitch with posts to renew old acquaintances and rivalries from our last match, we played no equipment, all tackle football, just like in my old midget football days, the regular temperature was -17.7 degree celcius without the wind chill, which made it -30.3 degrees celcius, so wearing my beanie, game jersey (yeah the Bears it was), cutters gauntlet padded receiver gloves, under lyrca armour tight compression skivvie pant and cleats, while others were bogged down with their snowpants, mittens and snowboots and I was ready to fly.

After one heck of a game, we all took count of the many injuries, I didn't realize until after that on the opening kickoff, where I ran a quarter of the field before trying hard to hurdle over my defender, I guess his hard head made more of a dent than I thought originally as it ripped a hole in the pant, plus a piece of meat with blood frozen stiff to it as well at the knee, all in all we had some fun out there, later we had fellowship together as brothers in Christ, ate our potluck chips and dips as well as my contribution of pepperettes and beef jerky and played some console football with the newest in machines.

People though I was nuts when I figured the game to be a low scoring one, guessing that its opening kickoff would be going back for 6 and the Chicago Bears wold just edge out the Indianapolis Colts, but after Devin Hester, a former University of Miami Hurricane returnman, did take it back to sender for a 92 yerd return in his college hometown some were starting to question their pick, the wind and rain factored game eventually went back to Indianapolis with a big 29-17 score, as Chicago tried hard rallying back from their deficit, but really it was a classic because of the weather alone and later I found out that supposedly one dormmate around Luther Court actually wasn't just an Illinois resident (but was actually an Indiana native) so I blame and believe her to be the jink on the Bears for the Colts as the rogue IllinIndi amongst us all.